JUST THE FACTS
A Parent is the foundation of their child's success! From birth you are educating your children and by Kindergarten you've taken them from babbling to counting and singing their ABC's. Everyday of their young lives you are homeschooling, so even if the idea sounds overwhelming, don't be afraid to explore your options. Hopefully these articles will answer some of those questions and help you decide if homeschooling is right for your family.
* Remember, you only need an Exemption for PUBLIC education!
1925, in Pierce vs. Society of Sisters, the court struck down on constitutional grounds an Oregon law that required children to attend only public schools. Ruling in favor of an order of Catholic nuns and a military academy, the court held that the law "unreasonably interferes with the liberty of parents and guardians to direct the upbringing and education of children." The decision includes this famous sentence: "The child is not the mere creature of the state; those who nurture him and direct his destiny have the right, coupled with the high duty, to recognize and prepare him for additional obligations."
LAWS IN MY STATE: https://hslda.org/content/
ONLINE HOMESCHOOL PROGRAMS: http://www.successful-homeschooling.com/free-homeschooling-curriculum.html
101 REASONS TO HOMESCHOOL: https://raisinglifelonglearners.com/reasons-to-homeschool/
1. There are about 2.3 million home-educated students in the U.S (2016)
2. Home-educated students score 15 - 30 % above public-school students.
3. A 2015 study found African-American home-educated students score 23 - 42 % above their public school peers.
4. Home-education Saves taxpayers $27 Billion annually.
5. 73 % of parents cite "dissatisfaction" with American public schools as their reason for home-educating their kids.
6. Only 13 % of American high school students are proficient in U.S History.
7. Students public education progress has been "stagnant" since the 1970's while other Countries are progressing.
8. 2/3 of students who cannot read proficiently by the end of 4th grade will end up in jail or on welfare.
(Over 70 % of America’s inmates cannot read above a 4th grade level.)
9. 1 in 4 children in America who receive a public education grow up without learning how to read.
10. Students who don't read proficiently by the 3rd grade are 4 X likelier to drop out of school.
11. As of 2011, America was the only free-market OECD country where the current generation is less educated than the previous one.
12. Nearly 85 % of the juveniles who face trial in the juvenile court system are functionally illiterate.
13. Only 20 % of American 8th grade public school students admit to reading recreationally.
14. Reports show that low literacy in the U.S directly costs the healthcare industry over $70 Million every year.
15. 3.2 Million Public school students are Bullied every year.
16. 43 % report the bullying to an adult at school.
17. Among high school students, 15.5% are cyberbullied and 20.2% are bullied on school property.
18. Among middle school students, 24% are cyberbullied and 45% are bullied on school property.
19. Parents spend $26.7 Billion per school year, for public school preparation.
20. Online programs allow parents to home-educate for FREE, and they provide teachers, support and materials.